[lbo-talk] distribution of hman activity, was Tower R

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Sat Jan 6 11:15:23 PST 2007

Lessig is absolutely right - as usual. The only qualifier I would have about his 'read only' environment statement is that the iPod can also function as a very high quality field recorder. Why more people don't use it for creative work still leaves me a little mystified. There are an increasing number of good microphones/adaptor combos you can buy for it.

I personally am still a huge fan of Mini-Disc recorders. I have a Sony Hi-MD I use for all of my journalistic work - interviews, field recordings etc - and it doubles as a playback mechanism for music. I use it all the time, and the 1 gig disc media for it are extremely cheap. No iTunes DRM restrictions with Sony's uploading software these days either.

Point in mentioning this is that there are enough portable media - software, playback and recording devices out there - to walk around all of the ideological and media ownership problems generated by iTunes. MDs aren't nearly as prevalent in the US as they once were, (still very popular in Europe and Asia), but they're still very easy to find. Recommended.

Best, Joel