(Privelege Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits Nepal gays)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 08:40:06 PST 2007

No, I take it that Brian's point really concerns unconscious sense of privilege, not an intentional cunning plot. Most straight single or monogamous people whose sexual tastes are fairly conventional so much take their rights to express themselves sexually for granted that _even though_ the liberals and leftists among them mouth the correct platitudes, vote for the right candidates, and sign the right petitions to support GLBT rights, they have no idea of what is involved in having one's sexuality, this deep aspect of one's being, constantly challenged, denied, denigrated, threatened, and abused.

Btw, as Brian well knows, the issue is not limited to queers and straights, but arises with anyone whose sexuality is nonstandard and who does not adhere to usual Judeo-Christian socially enforced norms about "moral" sexual behavior or what counts as correct or permissible activity. Brian identifies himself as a sadist in the kinky sex sense. If he were straight and still did that, his reception would be barely less frosty in mainstream society. As I recall many members of this very group of self-styled leftists put Brian through an airplane propeller when he defended kinky sex -- not gay kinky sex per se but just kinky sex, BDSM straight or gay -- here a few years back.

The main point is that it's easy to accept unthinkingly the advantages that go with adhering to conventional sexual norms and expectations even while saying the right things about people whose desires and needs deviate from those norms.