(Privelege Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits Nepal gays)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jan 8 09:18:54 PST 2007

Brian:

> Non-queers are very clever
> --
> they will seem to talk positively about queers, but
> with the same
> breath
> diminish the importance of sexual liberation to
> people's physical and
> psychological well-being.

[WS:] You err, Brian, in your assumption that what is important to person A is also important to person B. It is not. In fact, the opposite is true as an old adage suggests: 'one man's religion [or any other pet cause] is another man's belly laugh.'

Therefore, "talking positively" about other people's concerns is clearly a huge step above the general indifference, and two steps above scorn of concerns that one disapproves for one reason or another. However, instead of appreciating this, you chastise those who "talk positively" for not walking in lock-step with you. I think this sniping at people close to one's own positions is quire arrogant, counterproductive, and annoying.

Do not take this personally. Such behavior seems common among self styled activists on the left (I do not know about the right because I did not have much contacts with them), and I have a few conjectures while people engage in it. I am just trying to point out that this kind of attitude is no different from that of fundamentalists who assume that their ethical norms and views of sexuality are the only ones that are valid.

Wojtek