[lbo-talk] Privelege (Was Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits Nepal)

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Jan 8 15:32:25 PST 2007

BklynMagus

> As to criticism of BDSM, I think you two ignore the fact
that there is a big problem of domestic violence against women in the world, certainly in the US.

But BDSM has nothing to do with domestic violence, unless you are arguing that being pro-BDSM equals being pro- donestic violence.

^^^^^ CB: Let me ask you this. How do you know that men who beat or rape women do not think of it as some form of sadism in their minds ? Are you saying that you are ordering them not to do it because it's not consensual on the other party's part ? They reply , "hey, I'm doing my own thing, and it doesn't require the other party's consent. And hey she really likes it like that in her unconscious mend. Actually, all women are masochists deep down inside. "

> A big _left_ project is to get men to stop being "sadistic"
toward women.

The scare quotes give you away Charles. It is a left project to get people to stop being violent to each other in non-consensual circumstances.

^^^^ CB; Well, maybe there's another school of thought that doesn't quite agree with your version of BDSM. They leave out the consensual part, because of their psychoanalytical theory that women actually enjoy pain, in general. They agree with you in part and disagree with you in part.

^^^^^^^

> So, it might help if you explained in detail how BDSM is
actually only superficially similar to or actually not at all like domestic violence against women.

This site is useful::

http://www.ncsfreedom.org/index.htm

where you can find this document:

http://www.ncsfreedom.org/eop/files/SMvAbuse.pdf

^^^^^^ CB: Thanks. I'll look at it.

^^^^

> For you to ignore this obvious question, and act so
surprised that non-BDSM people have some questions about it is kind of esoteric on your parts.

What is surprising is that with this question having been answered so many times, people still bring it up. You must lead a very sheltered sexual existence Charles if you honestly do not know the difference between bdsm practice and domestic abuse.

^^^^^ CB; It's sort of psychology/iatry 101 to understand that the range of human mentality is a bit murkerier than what you say. Don't you think the two might grade into each other a bit more than being just clearly defined opposites ? Some bdsm probably has some elements of domestic violence/rape in it. Some domestic violence/rape has some elements of bdsm in them. In a rape case, _the_ issue is none other than consent. In other words, there is a dispute as to whether she consented. The whole history of "no sometimes means yes ".

I don't lead a sheltered sex life. I don't have any sex at all. What's wrong with that ? Are you prejudice against people who don't have sex.

> Also, I wonder whether LGBT people and liberationists
in general consider BDSM as having the same status as their sexual identities.

Some do (including me).

Brian

^^^^^ CB; What's your take on incest and beastiality ?