Privelege Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 15:40:03 PST 2007

Now, guys, chill.

I think that Charles' initial concern is understandable though misplaced. The answer has been given, but let me restate it without heat.

1) It's normal for people without experience of nonstandard, kinky, BDSM sex, whatever you want to call it, to find it a little disturbing because it involves elements of things that re like things people normally associate with cruelty and oppression, such as infliction of pain or humiliation, relations of hierarchy, domination and subordination (more ore less temporary), and the like. So it's natural to ask, what makes this different from garden variety sadism and domestic abuse?

2) The main answer is that among people who do nonstandard sex, the activities are voluntary, consensual, and within limits acceptable to both (or all) parties. That's why it's not abuse any more than it's assault to hit someone in a boxing match, to use an imperfect analogy.

3) Many loving couples (or larger groups), whether or not they even consider what they do to be S&M or kinky, do these sorts of things to enhance stimulation, make sex more interesting and fun, and otherwise improve their relationships.

4) Activities that cease to be consensual and within agreed-on limits aren't kinky sex anymore, they are just abuse. This isn't just limited to BDSM type activities -- plain vanilla sex is rape if it is non-consensual.

5) There are people who practice these nonstandard activities who are abusive, just as there are people who do not practice them who are abusive. That is,a according to my understanding, the accepted norm of the community, if you want to call it that, of people who do this stuff. There's even a slogan: "safe, sane, and consensual."

(I don't know any studies, but it seems plausible that the ritualized self-limitation of BDSM activities may make abuse less likely, since "No means No" is (from my understanding) part of the basic ground rules. In addition, there is the point that people in such relationships or who do such activities are no more stuck them just in virtue of doing these activities than anyone else is stuck in a relationship.)

8) With regard to what counts as "the "right kind" of nonstandard sex, why not say it is whatever safe, sane, and consensual sexual activities people agree to do? One person may want to be tied up but not experience pain. Another, to experience pain, but not do things that involve drawing blood. A third may wish to have his/her partner excrete on his/her person, another my find that repulsive. Some people like fisting, others say any sort of anal intercourse is not for them. As long as the parties agree, what they agree on is right for them. When someone does something the other person doesn't agree to and won't stop, it's abusive. Pretty much everyone agrees on that.

8) Rapists and domestic abusers are not engaging in kinky sex but in violent abuse? Who's to say? Well, the people involved to start with. Same as the boxers. If we box and you pop me in the gut, that is part of the game. If you just see me on these street and do the same thing, you've done something wrong because I didn't bargain for that.

Brian and his husband, his Mistress friend whom I mention and her bottom (denoting a relationship not a body part), stay within limits agreed on by the parties involved. A rapist or domestic abuser does not. There are deep philosophical problems that can be raised with consent theory, but it is a good place to start. And it is the basis of relations, so I understand, among people who do this stuff -- whether with the full panoply of leather and chains or just because they got inspired by a Cosmo tip.

7) As I noted, with respect to men abusing women, it's my understanding that a very high proportion of the "bottoms" in such relations are men, who compete for the favors of the relatively few women who are willing to "top."