[lbo-talk] Pain and Pleasure (was Re: Privelege)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jan 8 17:05:40 PST 2007

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On this listserve, it seems to me it's only Charles now who isn't sold
> on BDSM. :-> But you know some people feel cooler when there are
> acting as if they were in a minority even where they are the majority.
> Now, for Charles, here's a primer on pain and pleasure: scientists
> say pain and pleasure work with the same brain chemical and activate
> the same part of the brain.
>
> <http://focus.hms.harvard.edu/2001/Dec14_2001/research_briefs.html>
>
> Pain and Pleasure Activate Same Brain Structures

There is an assumption in this discussion that BDSM/kink revolves around pain and pleasure. That is true of some of it, but there are many other factors involved. This discussion hasn't even touched on the issues of power, control, domination, submission, play and other factors involved in BDSM/kink roleplaying and sex. I think leftists do notice these factors and read them too literally.

As for pain, I think most of us understand that it is a powerful turn on for many people. Just look at the whole piercing culture, which to some extent involves people who enjoy pain.

Chuck