Privelege Was Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Maoist cleanup drive hits

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 8 18:12:50 PST 2007

Charles Brown wrote:
> ^^^^
> CB: Uh, I don't need a break on this one. You do. You need to make more of
> an effort to listen to what I'm saying. I mean why are we talking about this
> at all ? Because BDSM people want a break from non-BDSM people. Non-BDSM
> people don't need a break from BDSM people.

BDSM practitioners don't want a "break", which implies some special treatment. They only want to be treated like everyone else and not be ostracized. Hardly an unfair desire or request. Only through educating people will this happen. The burden of doing this always falls on those who wish to change a societal norm. Our society has decided that we don't wish to discriminate based on religion, sex, etc. That means just exactly what it sounds like it means. No discrimination because someone likes B&D. It's primarily when people mistakenly believe there is something abhorrent about the practices, or that they lead to criminal behaviour, or some other such belief that people discriminate against BSDM practitioners. When they are educated that this is not so in most cases they agree to simply live and let live. Not everyone obviously but most people in our society.

John Thornton