[lbo-talk] Weird ideas of freedom

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 20:52:13 PST 2007

Carrol is alluding, I think, to a '30s joke I heard told like this"

Hyde Park, 1936, Communist speaker on a soapbox, regaling a decent-sized audience of the unemployed:

"Come the Revolution, everyone will drive big black cars! Come the Revolution, everyone will smoke good Cuban cigars! Come the Revolution, everyone will have a curvy blonde by his side!" (OK, it's a 30's joke, sexism comes with the territory.)

Voice from the audience "But I don't want drive around in a big black car smoking a cigar with a curvy blonde by my side. . . ."

Speaker: "Come the Revolution, you'll do as you're told!"