[lbo-talk] Weird ideas of freedom

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jan 8 22:44:35 PST 2007

Carrol Cox wrote:

>joanna wrote:
>

>>Freedom is not scripted.
>>

>Bullshit. Now you are trying to dictate to others.
>
>Come the revolution, everyone will have strawberries and cream
>I don't like strawberries and cream.
>Come the revolution, everyone will like what Joanna likes.
>
>Carrol

Perhaps we are using different versions of the english language.

Freedom is not scripted by definition. If every time we have sex, I have to dress like a nurse, or you have to jerk off in a shoe, or we have to pretend that you are Superman and I am Lois Lane, or (fill in your own details), we are not free. We might wind up having a good old time, but we are not free. We are imposing conditions within which it is safe or permissible to have sexual feelings -- it is not the sexual feelings that are creating the way we have sex -- there is, to begin with, a kind of censorship operating. And, all I'm saying is that if people agree to have sex like that, that's fine. But it's not free. It is, in some way, bound and gagged. And, in fact, terms like "bondage" reflect that reality.

Joanna