[lbo-talk] Weird ideas of freedom

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Jan 9 08:30:49 PST 2007

joanna wrote:

> Perhaps we are using different versions of the english language.
>
> Freedom is not scripted by definition. If every time we have sex, I have
> to dress like a nurse, or you have to jerk off in a shoe, or we have to
> pretend that you are Superman and I am Lois Lane, or (fill in your own
> details), we are not free. We might wind up having a good old time, but
> we are not free. We are imposing conditions within which it is safe or
> permissible to have sexual feelings -- it is not the sexual feelings
> that are creating the way we have sex -- there is, to begin with, a kind
> of censorship operating. And, all I'm saying is that if people agree to
> have sex like that, that's fine. But it's not free. It is, in some way,
> bound and gagged. And, in fact, terms like "bondage" reflect that reality.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "scripted". Are you saying that kinksters can only get off in certain prescribed ways, therefore they aren't free to try new things or "just be themselves"?

It appears that you really don't understand what is going on in the mind of a kinkster. I suspect that there are some kinksters who are stuck in a rut in terms of what gets them off, but I think that kinksters are more sexually liberated and enjoy more freedom than people who just muck along having "normal" sex or who stick to "normal sex" because of morals

or whatever. I suspect that kinksters spend more time thinking about their sexuality and are less concerned with sticking to the "normal" script of how one should be sexual.

Speaking for myself, there are a variety of things that get me off. I've also found that these things change over time. In recent years I've been surprised to find myself getting turned on more and more by "normal" pornography and vanilla sexual practices.

None of my interests have anything to do with them being transgressive or out of the mainstream. Many of my core sexuality stems from things that I picked up in my childhood. Perhaps you could say that there is some scripting going on in my sexuality--whatever that means--but I think that I'm just in tune with my natural sexuality. It is a free form of sexuality. If I have sex with somebody we'll probably engage in a variety of practices, some of which I prefer, some that she prefers and some that we both like or experiment with.

Chuck