[lbo-talk] Pleasure, Pain and All That Jazz

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 22:34:17 PST 2007

--- John Thornton <jtjthorn at sbsbcglobalet> wrote:

> While I noted that there was little hostility to
> BDBDSMn the list but
> some of the support is kind of half-asassed
> WoWoj'somment about his opposition to denouncing the
> practice while not
> condoning the practice itself is an example.
> I can see where Brian would get the feeling that
> there is little support
> for BDBDSMn this list.

[WS:] You apparently misread my comment. I said that defending BDSM itself may be inconsistent with the principles held by many lefties, and offered an alternative argument to bypass that contradiction - a philosophical equivalent of "nolo contendere" in what otherwise tends be a dichotomous guilty/not guilty framework. I did not say that I personally denounce BDSM I said that I do not give a shit one way or the other. I am generally not concerned about what consenting adults do in their bedrooms, and I do not feel any need to object to practices that I do not find appealing, or to justify those that I do. I merely commented on a philosophical aspect of arguments posed by Charles and Brian.

A broader point - why does one always need to support (or oppose) everything that others hold dear (or abominable). Cannot one simply pass without passing a judgement and tell one's fellow travelers "I love you dearly, but I do not really give a shit about what makes you tick?"

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index