[lbo-talk] Class, Kink, Sex

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Jan 9 22:44:21 PST 2007

Now that you mention it, I agree that it seems the more intelligent a person is, the more invincible their ignorance can be. I'm flattered you believe that applies to me. So much so that you won't even reveal your arguments (about why the limitations of consent don't apply).

But flattery will get you nowhere. Consent, even informed consent, is no guarantee that a relationship is not oppressive. To remind a person that they answered "I do", doesn't justify an oppressive and exploitative marriage. Clearly you have to examine the context in which the person gave this consent.

And regardless of the issue of consent, I still wouldn't accept the notion that someone who gets their kicks out of inflicting pain and/or humiliation is entirely sound mentally. Perhaps I'm old fashioned or perhaps it is simply wishful thinking on my part to reject the idea that this is a normal and healthy way to interact with someone you love. But I don't like the implications and prefer to believe that it is a symptom of either a psychological, or more likely a deeper social, problem.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas