[lbo-talk] Sex and Stuff

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 10 14:27:28 PST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 5:14 PM, Ted Winslow wrote:

> You seem to use "scripting" in a sense that doesn't allow for a
> distinction between this and, say, an obsessional set of routines
> expressing psychopathology as in Taylorism (Jack Nicholson plays a
> character in (if I remember rightly) Five Easy Pieces whose
> routinized sex falls into the latter category i.e. in order to come
> he requires a sex worker to follow a "script" to the letter).

Not me, actually - that's the way Joanna's using it. E.g., the nurse's uniform, etc. My objection is to the idea that things that seem more ordinary (e.g., plain vanilla fucking) are not themselves in large part performances of pre-existing texts. I really don't understand what her idea of "freedom" is in this context.

The movie you're thinking of is Carnal Knowledge, right? And yes, that's an obsessive ritual, which must be repeated without variation every time. Joanna's caricature of pervy sex was more like that than it should be.

Doug