[lbo-talk] Sex and Stuff

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Jan 10 14:55:45 PST 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Not me, actually - that's the way Joanna's using it. E.g., the
> nurse's uniform, etc. My objection is to the idea that things that
> seem more ordinary (e.g., plain vanilla fucking) are not themselves
> in large part performances of pre-existing texts. I really don't
> understand what her idea of "freedom" is in this context.

Freedom means that anything can happen--depending on mood and circumstance, as opposed to the requirement that something specific needs to happen no matter what the mood or ciurcumstance.

> The movie you're thinking of is Carnal Knowledge, right? And yes,
> that's an obsessive ritual, which must be repeated without variation
> every time. Joanna's caricature of pervy sex was more like that than
> it should be.

I can only base my characterization of pervy sex on material you and others have furnished. Based on that material BDSM sounds pretty scripted to me.

I also find it, well, weird, that on a lefty list one faces ridicule for asserting that love and/or sexual attraction are the motive forces behind sexual congress.

Joanna