[lbo-talk] Pleasure, Pain and All That Jazz

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 11 15:38:35 PST 2007

> On Jan 11, 2007, at 3:47 PM, John Thornton wrote:
>
>> Unless you can show me BSDM practitioners are more likely to abuse
>> their sex partners in a non-consensual way the "unpleasant realities"
>> about these relationships seem to exist only inside the minds of
>> uninformed people.
>> John A. and Charles want to imply a connection to BSDM practices and
>> non-consensual criminal behaviour.
>
> You're really quite free with what I have and haven't said. I haven't
> said a word about criminal behavior. Not all coercion is criminal, you
> know, nor is it necessarily ethically wrong, even when it may not be
> good for the object of coercion. [John A.]

Last time I checked assault was a crime. Isn't practicing discipline on a non-consenting person assault? You weren't referring to criminal assault when you wrote: "then organized bdsmers wouldn't spend so much time trumpeting the need to be inside the bdsm community to avoid abuse and abusers."? What abuse were you referring to if not criminal assault, people merely being mean to others? If I am being too literal with what you wrote perhaps you could enlighten me?

John Thornton