[lbo-talk] Left hand puritanism the lost re-bottle

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 11 15:46:44 PST 2007

Anthony Kennerson writes: "Ahhhh...so I see that Charles Brown has finally decided to attempt a response to my criticism of his baiting and bashing of BDSM sex practioners and their defenders on the Left. ... I am NOT an practioner of BDSM, but I am a sex radical who simply refuses to deny them their humanity or use them as guniea pigs or human pinatas for your own elitist myopia."

This really is beneath contempt. I wouldn't agree with Charles' argument that BDSM sex makes a negative contribution to human progress, but it is a far less ridiculous proposition than the one that BDSM sex makes a positive contribution to human progress. People have a right to collect stamps, or to go to church, I suppose, but it is not an activity that deserves respect.

Let's face it, the Puritans did more for humanity than the Marquis de Sade - still less his pygmy epigones -ever did.