[lbo-talk] Pleasure, Pain and All That Jazz

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 11 17:39:24 PST 2007

You weren't referring to criminal assault when you wrote: "then organized bdsmers wouldn't spend so much time trumpeting the need to be inside the bdsm community to avoid abuse and abusers."? What abuse were you referring to if not criminal assault, people merely being mean to others? [JT]

> How about, "Do it because you love me"? That's one of the most
> coercive statements possible, and it can evoke almost any human behavior.
>
> All the best,
>
> John A

"Do it because you love me" holds true for het sex practitioners just as much but I don't recall you writing that any two people on a date are "playing with fire." Nothing you've written yet has explained why consent between BDSM practitioners is "thornier" than the consent between people engaged in any other form of sex. If you can't find any evidence to support the idea that there is a connection between BDSM and non-consensual sexual violence or that abuse and coercion are much greater problems in the BDSM community than they are for high schoolers dating, among dating co-workers, or among practitioners of any other form of sex play then it seems foolish to keep insisting that it still must be true.

John Thornton