[lbo-talk] Left hand puritanism the lost re-bottle

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 00:29:27 PST 2007

Making the case for De Sade over the Puritans, Shane Mage cites the massacres at Drogheda, the illegal execution of King Charles I as negatives and De Sade's pamphlet against capital punishment (a noble against capital punishment in revolutionary France - you don't say!) as a positive. Following the BDSM thread, it was always nagging in the back of my mind that the problem with BDSM was not that it was violent, but that it wasn't. On this side of the Atlantic, we radicals still name our children Oliver and toast Cromwell for hacking Charles I's head off (Lenin implored the first Bolshevik govt. not to give in to sentimentalism by abolisihing the death penalty.) As Engels said:

"A revolution is certainly the most violent thing there is: it is the act whereby one part of the population imposes its will on the other part by means of rifles, bayonets and cannon." Engels, On Authority, Almanaco Repubblicano, 1874

Or as Herakleitos put it

"When Homer said that he wished war might disappear from the lives of gods and men, he forgot that without opposition all things would cease to exist.

It must be clearly seen that war is the natural state of man. Justice is contention. Through contention all things come to be.

War is the father of us all and our king. War discloses who is godlike and who is but a man, who is a slave and who is a free man.

Those killed by Ares are honoured by gods and men."

No special safe words, performance or consent there, then.