[lbo-talk] Re: Re: Inorganic Intellectuals and the MythicalIdealof the

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 09:31:49 PST 2007

Chuck:

You [Carrol Cox] seem to be fully capable of posting your critical thoughts in the context of this formal list. Michael has a slightly different kind of communication style. What you want to see is a list where everybody exchanges criticism in some kind of highly-organized, legalistic manner.

This is the real world, with humans in their variety, so the utopia you seek is not going to happen here.

I disagree.

Specifically, I disagree with the (implied) idea that the issue is simply one of differing 'communication styles'.

I think it goes much deeper than this; Carrol's post subtly mentioned the surface features of a profoundly complex structure.

That is (and let's move away, with all deliberate speed, from yet another discussion of Pugliese: for and against; that gives me a headache) when we talk to -- or at -- each other, the most stubborn obstacles are built from conflicting views of how the world works, what's important and how ideas should be expressed.

For example...

These days I find myself arguing with environmentalist friends who insist there is "no technological fix for the problem of climate change." My view is quite different and runs in parallel to writer Bruce Sterling's: human initiated climate change is caused, at base, by the fact we acquire our energy from burning things. We need to develop an energy production system that moves us away from burning things. Also, our power and telecommunications infrastructure must be retro-fitted to withstand the increased stress load brought on by powerful weather patterns and rising sea levels (note the massive power outages in the US Midwest following snow and ice storms).

Of course, this is a political and cultural problem but also a technological one.

To my "small is beautiful" comrades, this is errant nonsense. To me, their vision of a neo 17th century village as the ideal endpoint for humanity is nonsense.

We talk past each other...relentlessly.

.d.

At this point, it's still not clear that intelligence and self-awareness are successful adaptations.

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/