[lbo-talk] More India Shining

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:48:15 PST 2007

On 1/16/07, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> > I fail to see why these women do not sharpen up their U.S English
> > accents and join a call centre.
>
> I fail to see why the people who join call "centres" don't sharpen up
> their U.S. English skills first. I had to call United Airlines 5 times
> the other night to get someone who understood the question I had.
>
> I guess my actual complaint is with those who are the hiring managers.

Maybe the outsourcing airlines are expecting US customers to become (finally!) cosmopolitan, learning to hear and speak English with diverse accents and at various degrees of competence, just as banks taught customers to use ATMs, supermarkets taught them to use self checkout systems, and so on. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>