[lbo-talk] More India Shining

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Jan 16 16:59:35 PST 2007

>> I fail to see why the people who join call "centres" don't sharpen
>> up
>> their U.S. English skills first. I had to call United Airlines 5
>> times
>> the other night to get someone who understood the question I had.
>>
>> I guess my actual complaint is with those who are the hiring
>> managers.
>
> Maybe the outsourcing airlines are expecting US customers to become
> (finally!) cosmopolitan, learning to hear and speak English with
> diverse accents and at various degrees of competence, just as banks
> taught customers to use ATMs, supermarkets taught them to use self
> checkout systems, and so on.

I do think that there's a bit of active discouragement to this plan (such as it is), but the problem -- alas -- is that there are no alternatives. I'm as savvy as it comes with online travel Stuff, but they've made the change away from qualified human help before the machines have caught up. I avoid talking to humans when I can (I think it's been over 10 years since I've stood in line at an actual bank branch) but if you can't get accomplished what you mean to get accomplished, you've got to pick up the phone.

Thank Dog for headsets and wireless phones is all I have to say; at least I can get things done while I wait on hold ...

For the record, it wasn't an accent issue; it was a fundamental misunderstanding of English (and the product they purport to Support) that I was running into.

/jordan