[lbo-talk] More India Shining

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Jan 16 19:08:05 PST 2007

At around 16/1/07 7:48 pm, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Maybe the outsourcing airlines are expecting US customers to become
> (finally!) cosmopolitan, learning to hear and speak English

Ha! Don't hold your breath on that one. After almost two decades, I have given up on the hope of U.Sers learning to speak English. In my previous trip to India, I met an Indian woman who was one of the U.S English/accent "coaches". She joked that the first difficult problem in her job is to make the kids unlearn English so they could be taught American. The second difficulty was to help the kids understand that the "World" Series is a game played between Chicago and Baltimore. ;-) It was extremely funny to hear her example bits where she would speak English and then say the same thing in US/American (what was surprising was that had she just done the US/English thing, I wouldn't have noticed the strangeness of it due to my time here, but the juxtaposition made it immediately obvious). This was not just accents (including the funny 'R's) but also phrases and mannerisms. I wish I could remember a few...

--ravi