[lbo-talk] What's the deal with conservatives, economists, and the minimum wage?

queer dewd formerly known as ( ) bitch at pulpculture.org
Thu Jan 18 07:11:03 PST 2007

At 09:20 AM 1/18/2007, you wrote:
>Problem is there isn't much evidence for this proposition. Even the
>theoretical appeal is a little dodgy, because the elasticity of
>demand can be extremely variable. In the recent gas price spike, for
>example, demand in the U.S. barely stumbled; people complained, but
>kept driving. Same with the wage. Increase it by 10% and what
>happens? Does demand for labor decline by 10% or 1%?
>
>In fact, actual empirical studies of minimum wage show little or now
>effect on employment. David Card and Alan Krueger did a series of
>comparisons of similar jurisdictions, one of which increased its
>local minimum vs. another that didn't. There was no reduction in
>demand for low-wage labor in the areas that increased. Also, there
>was no visible decline in the demand for labor after the last rounds
>of minimum wage increases in the U.S. And, I just got a press release
>announcing the results of a survey by firm that does payrolls for a
>lot of small businesses, which found they don't care about a minwage
>increase.
>
>Yeah, Bill Bartlett has a point that it's the class interests of
>economists at work. But it's also the idiot reflex of orthodox
>economics: raise the price, and demand just has to go down. It does,
>it does! But it doesn't.

And there was some big study they all cite, from New Jersey, I think. My observation of entrenched thinking like this, including as it happens on the left, is that people read one study or, more likely, *about* the study from someone they trust and never look into it any further. Anyway, from a recent NYT article on the topic, link below -- though I thought maybe the convo might have been sparked by this recent report:

Just eight miles separate this town on the Washington side of the state border from Post Falls on the Idaho side. But the towns are nearly $3 an hour apart in the required minimum wage. Washington pays the highest in the nation, just under $8 an hour, and Idaho has among the lowest, matching 21 states that have not raised the hourly wage beyond the federal minimum of $5.15.

Nearly a decade ago, when voters in Washington approved a measure that would give the state's lowest-paid workers a raise nearly every year, many business leaders predicted that small towns on this side of the state line would suffer. But instead of shriveling up, small-business owners in Washington say they have prospered far beyond their expectations. In fact,

businesses here

have found that raising prices to compensate for higher wages does not necessarily lead to losses in jobs and profits.

Idaho teenagers cross the state line to work in fast-food restaurants in Washington, where the minimum wage that is 54 percent higher. That has forced businesses in Idaho to raise their wages to compete.

"We're paying the highest wage we've ever had to pay and our business is still up more than 11 percent over last year," said Tom Singleton, who manages a Papa Murphy's takeout pizza store here [in Washington], with 13 employees.

His store is flooded with job applicants from Idaho, Mr. Singleton said. Like other business managers in Washington, he said he had less turnover because the jobs paid more.

By contrast, an Idaho restaurant owner, Rob Elder, said he paid more than the minimum wage because he could not find anyone to work for the Idaho minimum at his Post Falls restaurant

"At $5.15 an hour I get zero applicants ­ or maybe a guy with one leg who wouldn't pass a drug test and wouldn't show up on Saturday night because he wants to get drunk with his buddies," Mr. Elder said.

[T]he state's major business lobby, the Association of Washington Business, is no longer fighting the minimum-wage law, which is adjusted every year in line with the consumer price index.

During a recession five years ago, the same group had argued that Washington's high minimum wage law would send businesses fleeing to Idaho. The group sent out a news release with a criticism of the law from John Fazzari, who owns a family-run pizza business in Clarkston, Wash., just minutes from the Idaho town of Lewiston.

But now Mr. Fazzari says business has never been better, and he has no desire to move to Idaho. "To tell you the truth, my business is fantastic," he said in an interview. "I've never done as much business in my life."

Mr. Fazzari said he raises prices slightly. But he said most customers barely notice. He sells more pizza, he said, because he has a better product

Here on this border, business owners have found small ways to raise their prices, and customers say they have barely noticed. "We used to have a coupon, $3 off on any family-size pizza, and we changed that to $2 off," said Mr. Singleton, of Papa Murphy's. "I haven't heard a single complaint."

http://www.amptoons.com/blog/archives/2007/01/12/the-minimum-wage-in-washington-and-idaho/

http://blog.pulpculture.org