[lbo-talk] What's the deal with conservatives, economists, and the minimum wage?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 07:42:51 PST 2007

Yeah, I've seem Doug's studies and others and the empirical research doesn't support the proposition that raising the minimum wage depresses the demand for low wage labor. There's Doug's point that demand is inelastic -- what are car wash owners and MacDonald's franchiser gonna do, get out there with a brush or a spatula themselves? (If they're not already.) Are execs at janitorial services providers or the CEO of Manpower or Kelly's going to get out there and dig ditches or type, and if they did, would that satisfy the demand? Employers need a certain number of workers whatever they have to pay them. The NCE's will say, oh, then they'll quit that business and go do something where they don't have to pay such high labor costs. Thereby ignoring the huge transaction costs of setting up a new business. Also the fact that the minimum wage laws will generally affect most service-type low wage labor.

And much of that labor can't be offshored or exported -- you can't clean office buildings in LA or serve burgers in Chicago from Mumbai or Djakarta. There is always continual pressure to automate, which does reduce the demand for labor, of course, but I am not aware of studies that show that raising the minimum wage contributes to this. In fact, apart from practicalities about what can be automated, the fact is that theoretically it's the higher paid wage labor that gets automated first, that's where it makes most sense even in NCE terms to sink your automation research and investment dollars. Reduce the number of unionized autoworkers, that's the ticket.

There's also the general theoretical/empirical point, an immense thorn in the side for neoclassical economists, that theoretically (unregulated) labor markets ought to clear (wages should drop to the point where unemployment is zero or frictional -- limited to people in the process of switching jobs and the like) -- but they never did, even before the enactment of the minimum wage laws in the 1930s. Back in the 19th century, when there was virtually no labor regulation, there was still high unemployment. Marx wrote about this in his theory of the "reserve army of the unemployed" and used the fact to beat up on classical economists who believed the 19th century version of the same silly idea, that paying workers too much would be bad for them.