[lbo-talk] Cognitive dissonance

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jan 18 10:42:06 PST 2007

Joanna:

So far as this list is concerned, you do often display a deep streak of misanthropy, variously justified by various theories, but mostly focusing on the working class.

[WS:] No, elites get a similar treatment too. Or to be more precise, I reserve that treatment for certain elements of any class - working, middle or upper - that I perceive as "mountebanks" (to use HL Mencken's term) or self-righteous, cock-sure, moralizing buffoons. I am generally very respectful of people who are reflective, modest, reserved, and considerate of multiple points of view - even if I disagree with their views.

Joanna:

So far as your wife is concerned, she may have recounted this story in order to share a moment of sympathy/grief and she did not want a sociological/intellectual/lecture instead.

One must pay attention and be sensitive. All Truths vary with time and circumstance.

[WS:] Gee you sound exactly like her. So what exactly was I supped to do, just listen and nod? What is it exactly that one does to share sympathy or other feelings - as opposed to lecturing? This is a bona fide question, since I've heard similar complaints more than once.

Wojtek