[lbo-talk] Benny Strikes Again: "This Holocaust will be different"

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 19:07:41 PST 2007

On 1/19/07, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> The most interesting thing about the essay to me is that Morris doesn't
> seem to use his (what some might call twisted) logic to support a plan
> of action: it's more like "well, here's what's going to happen, and
> here's why no one is going to stop it ..."
>
> I'm surprised he lives in Israel if he really thinks that's true.

That's because Benny Morris doesn't _really_ believe what he says. There _was_ a regional crisis last summer, with Iran under President Ahmadinejad when he had _more_ power than now, but Tehran did NOT allow Hizballah to use the best of what it had given the militia against Israel: "Iran, so far, has not allowed Hezbollah to fire one of the Zelzal missiles, the Israelis say" (Steven Erlanger and Richard A. Oppel, Jr., "A Disciplined Hezbollah Surprises Israel With Its Training, Tactics and Weapons," 7 August 2006, <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/07/world/middleeast/07hezbollah.html?ei=5088&en=de52fa69d7cbb67b&ex=1312603200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=print>).

Neither Tehran nor Tel Aviv will use a nuke. Nor will Washington nuke Iran.

Conventional missile strikes against Iran before Iran acquires the capacity to develop nuclear bombs are possible and in fact very much likely. Hysterical propaganda from Israel is mainly for the purpose of goading Washington into action and, failing that, pushing Tel Aviv to strike first so Washington will be prompted into action, as Bryan Atinsky suggested. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>