[lbo-talk] Democrats Warn Bush Not to Attack Iran

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Jan 19 21:38:20 PST 2007

On Saturday 20 January 2007 12:14 am, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> "The president does not have the authority to launch military action
> in Iran without first seeking congressional authorization,'' Senate
> Democratic leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told the National Press Club.

I wish I found this as reassuring as Yoshie seems to. As I wrote at slightly greater length on my blog, it sounds quite ominous to me. What I hear Harry saying is that the President is not allowed to go on an Iran joyride without taking Congress along. He did _not_ say that Congress wouldn't go along -- and in fact, given the proper Gulf of Tonkin setup, I'm quite sure they would go along.

Anybody think otherwise?

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org