[lbo-talk] Nepal gays and Maoists/Marxist Approach

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Jan 20 11:22:46 PST 2007

Dennis Redmond wrote:

>> Were there homosexulas amongst in the primitive commune set-up as well.
>
> Yes. Lesbian and gay people have existed in every society we know of.

The historical and anthopological record clearly contradicts this claim. Yes, same-sex sexual relations occur in most societies, but the linkage of that behavior to a stable, exclusive sexual identity is not a human universal. Good example: ancient Greece. The men who engaged in same sex sexual relations were typically older, married men and young men who would later marry and have a family. There were not "gay" men in ancient Greece. (See Foucault, History of Sexuality, Vol. 1.) --Sexual identity is a profound sociohistorical accomplishment!

Miles