[lbo-talk] Nepal gays and Maoists/Marxist Approach

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Jan 20 18:28:25 PST 2007

Shane Mage wrote:

> Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> ...same-sex sexual relations occur in most societies, but the linkage
>> of that behavior to a stable, exclusive sexual identity is not a human
>> universal. Good example: ancient Greece. The men who engaged in same
>> sex sexual relations were typically older, married men and young men
>> who would later marry and have a family. There were not "gay" men in
>> ancient Greece...
>

> The ignorance expressed in these lines would be astounding were it
> not so commonplace. How can anyone have the chutzpa to write
> about Greek homosexuality without ever having read the *Symposium*?

Because, of course, if one philosopher makes a claim, it reflects the common sense beliefs and practice of people at that time and place! You need to stop reading philosophy and study the actual sexual practices and norms in a society. We have plenty of direct historical documentation that contradicts Aristophanes' view of sexuality in Ancient Greece.

Miles