[lbo-talk] Nepal gays and Maoists/Marxist Approach

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Jan 20 18:35:03 PST 2007

Dennis Redmond wrote:
> Miles wrote:
>

>>The historical and anthopological record clearly contradicts this
>>claim. Yes, same-sex sexual relations occur in most societies, but
>>the linkage of that behavior to a stable, exclusive sexual identity is
>>not a human universal.
>

> I never said sexual identity was stable or exclusive, my point is that
> same-sex desire and practice has been around forever. The literary,
> cultural and anthropological record is unambiguous on this point. How that
> desire is mediated and transformed into social identities is another
> question entirely.
>
> -- DRR

You claimed that "lesbians and gays" have been around forever. The point I'm trying to emphasize is that many people in many societies have same-sex desire and sexual relations, and they do not identify themselves or others as "lesbian" or "gay". It appears that we pretty much agree; I just bristle when people use modern, historically produced categories (like those of sexual identity) and project them into the past to manufacture false universality.

Miles