[lbo-talk] Nepal gays and Maoists/Marxist Approach

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 22:02:29 PST 2007

Bristle away, Miles. People didn't think of themselves as in "classes" or having "governments." Or, if Foucault is right, as individual people. Why do we have to take their own seld-description as the last word? Gay is what we call people who prefer same saexrelationships. Absolutely bothing wrong with saying Alexander the Great was gay, as long as we make the obvious caveats about the facts that he say thsi differently than we do and it played it a dfferent role in his societ(ies). (Which were what: Macedonian? Greek? Hellene? Mediterranean? Persian? Afghan --oops! Bactrian. Indian? Mesopotaniam? North Afriacn? Egyptiab? Something he created from all the above?) This is so obvious I can't believe I have to say it on a list full of Marxists who basically live by vcaharctertizing people in ways they would reject, not understand, and even find highly objectionable. Who do you think you are, Peter Winch?