Purer Than Thou (Was Re: [lbo-talk] Obama 'was educated in madrassa')

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 09:42:25 PST 2007

Oh, and after I said, let's not attack each other but recognize that action all along the spectrum is necessary, I get attacked for naivete and cynicism, accused of donkey flag waving and going all giddy.

My last comment on this until after the general election:

I know the Democrats are going to betray us. I said so. I know they are going to fold under pressure. I said so. I said that was the one immutable law of social science. I said about Obama and this goes for any Democrat prez candidate that he won't accomplish a 10th of what could do or a hundred of we want him to do. If that sounds like giddiness and Donkey flag waving to you, what would cold eyed sobriety sound like?

I'm not even going to say that "standing for something" in the purist mode is worthless if you don't accomplish something, even if it is modest. I don't believe that. The purists help push the spectrum to debate to the left. We need that. I just wish that everyone on this deal would realize that people need to be doing whatever they can, in whatever venue they work, stomaching as much as they can wherever they are, without insisting that theirs is the only way.

I am now done. Write me about this after the 2008 election, at which time I may or may not respond. Further discussion is a waste of time and I will not participate.

One more thing. Please cal me "Andie." There is a reason I use a pen name on the least. Thank you.