[lbo-talk] Hillary, moneybags

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Jan 22 12:07:49 PST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>> The Note notes this morning that Hillary is the first major party pres
>>> candidate in modern times to reject public financing.
>>
>> I don't think the Note is right here. Right now we're talking about
>> primary funding.
>
> Nope, it's the general, and that's where the innovation lies.

Right, but it doesn't seem to distinguish Clinton.

> Top-tier contenders on both sides of the aisle are expected to follow
> Clinton's lead and abandon the system this cycle in both the primaries and
> the general.

And this idea that they are following her lead seems manufactured. This report is based on an email exchange with a campaign op, not an official announcement. And her website is still soliciting contributions within the limits, as if that were still an option, and she's still officialy hedging her bets just like everyone else.

So I don't see any leading. This sounds like a general story about what everybody's going to do being tortured into a story about Clinton being more venal than the others.

People really love to hate her, across the political spectrum. She's a uniter!

Michael