[lbo-talk] Hillary, moneybags

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 22 12:17:13 PST 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> And this idea that they are following her lead seems manufactured.
> This report is based on an email exchange with a campaign op, not
> an official announcement.

It's Howard Wolfson, not some low-level hack.

> And her website is still soliciting contributions within the
> limits, as if that were still an option, and she's still officialy
> hedging her bets just like everyone else.

Here's what the LAT story says: "On her campaign website, Clinton suggests that donors give her $2,100 for the primary and another $2,100 for the general — a sign that she won't seek matching funds in the general election. Candidates who take public money in the general election must forgo fundraising."

> People really love to hate her, across the political spectrum.
> She's a uniter!

And for good reason. Sam Smith recalls Hillary on capital punishment from the early 1990s:

"We go back and forth on the issues of due process and the disproportionate minorities facing the death penalty, and we have serious concerns in those areas. We also abhor the craze for the death penalty. But we believe it does have a role."

Doug