[lbo-talk] Hillary, moneybags

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Jan 22 18:42:37 PST 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Here's what the LAT story says: "On her campaign website, Clinton suggests
> that donors give her $2,100 for the primary and another $2,100 for the
> general -- a sign that she won't seek matching funds in the general
> election. Candidates who take public money in the general election must
> forgo fundraising."

I'm sorry to be so dense, but how I don't see how that jibes with this paragraph later on in the same story:

> The maximum that a single donor can give is $2,100 for a primary and
> another $2,100 for a general election, though the commission probably will
> raise that to $2,200 or $2,300 this year.

If there's a limit for the general election, that necessarily implies people can give funds no? And if she's asking for exactly those statutory limits, it sounds like she's nominally still staying in bounds. What am I missing?

Again, so to be so dense, but I'm not getting this.

Michael