[lbo-talk] Re: Is Sex Fun for Girls? --> Sociobiology, Sex,and History

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Jan 22 15:11:35 PST 2007

At around 22/1/07 3:32 pm, Carrol Cox wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>
> Anatomically modern humans about 130,000 years ago. Homo Sapiens
>> Sapiens is credited with the 40,000 years you mention above.
>
> Ravi! Cro-Magnon is just one group of homo sapiens. Homo-sapeins and
> "Anatomically modern humans" are just different names for the same
> species.

Sure, but I wrote Homo Sapiens Sapiens (not just Homo Sapiens) - that being the branch of Homo Sapiens that is our direct parent (as opposed to a now extinct branch, traces of which have been found in Ethiopia[?]). I have found, in the past, references giving the 40,000 number for HSS. Right now, I cannot find any such, so my memory is probably wrong. My point was to give the benefit of doubt to Andie's numbers, while pointing out that our anatomy can be traced to much longer than he mentions.

Thanks for the note,

--ravi