[lbo-talk] Re: Purer Than Thou

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 18:36:31 PST 2007

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org wrote (responding to Carrol):

> Much of that work is consciously anti-capitalist!

Are you seriously suggesting that personal intent is the criterion by which social praxis should be evaluated?

> Take the Indymedia network, which relies on software

> programmed mostly by anti-capitalists.

I'm sure that at some point in my life, I've probably shopped in chain supermarkets where the lettuce was washed by an anti-capitalist, or walked subway platforms that were swept by anti-capitalists.

The personal belief systems of social actors are not highly relevant when discussing determinate forms of social existence like value or the state.

>The tone of this discussion and its pissing on the
> free software movement

Critique is not "pissing." Learn to confront critique without interpreting it as a personal slight.

> reminds me of how the Left is so skilled at
snatching > defeat out of the jaws of victory.

What "victory" are you referring to? You have asserted now in multiple posts an alleged anti-capitalist character of free software, but as of yet, you either decline to offer a supporting argument, or your argument is reducible to stating the personal belief systems of participants is sufficient argument in and of itself.

You mentioned that you are writing an article on these topics. Do we have to wait for the article before we get to see what your arguments are, or can we have a taste of your arguments on this list?