[lbo-talk] Sociobiology

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jan 26 13:28:40 PST 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> I agree that sociobiological hypothesis should be
> subject to peer review by anyone in any discipline
> that gives her/him the competence to discuss the
> ideas. Including philosophy: Phil Kitcher's Vaulting
> Ambition, a good demolition of a lot of bad
> ideological sociobiological one more or less pure
> scientific grounds, is an excellent. I think Kitcher
> goes too far in raising doubts about sociobiology per
> se, but his critiques are exemplary and almost always
> dead on.

Another thoughtful critique: David Buller's Adapting Minds. He also explains why the field that calls itself "Evolutionary Psychology" is far from the only way to apply the concepts of evolution to an understanding of human behavior and social patterns. For instance, Evolutionary Psychologists insist that the evolved characteristics that human beings now possess emerged during the "EEA" (environment of evolutionary adaptedness). Believe it or not, evolutionary psychologists contend that the human EEA was a relative short period of time during the Pleistocene! I think it's obvious, and I suspect that andie would agree, that humans possess many characteristics that emerged via natural selection far earlier than that (e.g., operant and classical conditioning) and also very recently (e.g., lactose tolerance in adults). It might seem obvious that evolution is an ongoing process, but Evolutionary Psychologists disagree. (This underlines my favorite criticism of sociobiologists/evolutionary psychologists: the biggest flaw is not that they try to apply the concepts of evolution to human behavior and social patterns; it is that time and time again they violate or misconstrue the basic principles of evolutionary theory!)

Miles