[lbo-talk] A Liberal Blogger Watches the Antiwar Rally on C-SPAN

jrdavis from_alamut at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 12:34:46 PST 2007

The problem with throwing everything including the "kitchen sink" into these events is that no one including alot of the Left is going to agree on all of them. They are set up to alienate. Personally, a rally against the Iraq war should be just that a single issue event.

jim

Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:

On 1/27/07, mike larkin wrote:
> http://americablog.blogspot.com/2007/01/im-watching-some-idiot-on-c-span.html
>
> "Joe and I are heading down to the peace rally in an
> hour, to take photos, etc. And I'm watching it on
> C-Span right now, and I'm asking myself - though I'm
> not surprised - why is some woman from the "US
> Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation" speaking? And
> why is she speaking, ad naseum, about the "Israeli
> occupation of Palestine" rather than speaking about
> the war in Iraq? She gave 10% of her speech to Iraq
> and spent the rest of the time railing against Israel?
>
> First off, wrong topic.
>
> Second off, way to alienate most Jews in America, a
> rather influential group of people we could use as
> allies.

The bipartisan Iraq Study Group links the Iraq War to the Israeli occupation and says it's time to rein in Tel Aviv, a Jewish billionaire (concerned that Tel Aviv's policy is helping increase anti-Semitism) is seeking to build a liberal counterweight to the AIPAC, and the former President of the United States decries apartheid that the Israeli occupation is, _and_ this "liberal" blogger can't stand one anti-war speaker from the most sensible -- and moderate -- coalition among all that are working to end the Israeli occupation, a coalition that includes Jewish groups (see ) and that has been led by a well known and respected Jewish woman intellectual?

Why is this "liberal" blogger to the right of the saner voices (admittedly still only a few, but increasing in number) from _the ruling class_? -- Yoshie