[lbo-talk] A Liberal Blogger Watches the Antiwar Rally on C-SPAN

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 13:04:20 PST 2007

On 1/27/07, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:
> Jim:
>
> "The problem with throwing everything including the 'kitchen sink' into
> these events is that no one including alot of the Left is going to agree on
> all of them. They are set up to alienate. Personally, a rally against the
> Iraq war should be just that a single issue event."
>
> I thought that this rally was much more focused than the last one, which was
> indeed all over the map. And, finally, some actual antiwar Iraq vets! To me,
> that was the best part of the rally, watching those young vets in camo on
> the stage. That really moved me, as did the military families activists.
> Still, you can't talk about US war in the Middle East without mentioning
> Israel, esp with Iran in the crosshairs. This war is designed to be
> regional, if not global. Iraq is only one part of it.

I agree with you 100%. We can't randomly assemble a laundry list of issues and problems, but we do have to address the actual nature and scope of the war. If the power elite thought that the war was about Iraq and Iraq alone, they might be induced to cut losses and withdraw sometime soon, but they -- not just a small faction of the power elite who think like Jimmy Carter and the Iraq Study Group and but the faction who are in charge, controlling the White House and the levers of power in Congress -- clearly do not see it as a matter of handling just one country. To their regional vision of the Middle East, Israel and Saudi Arabia are central. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>