[lbo-talk] "Protest Focuses on Troop Increase for Iraq"

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Jan 27 18:57:37 PST 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 21:43, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> the paper of record is working hard to
> frame this protest as opposition to the "Surge," rather than
> opposition to the Iraq war or anything larger

Figures. The time-honored Democratic Party strategy is, let's present the status quo as a victory -- whew! At least we fought off the "surge"!

I have seen this up close and personal for decades. I used to be a tenant advocate, back when there were still tenants in Manhattan, and every year our assemblyman -- Jerrold Nadler, as a matter of fact, now the fattest, greasiest member of Congress -- would come back from Albany, mopping his sweaty brow, and tell us, whew! We fought of the repeal of rent stabilization!

This is all VERY old stuff.