[lbo-talk] "Protest Focuses on Troop Increase for Iraq"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 27 19:06:58 PST 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 9:57 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> I have seen this up close and personal for decades. I used
> to be a tenant advocate, back when there were still tenants
> in Manhattan, and every year our assemblyman -- Jerrold
> Nadler, as a matter of fact, now the fattest, greasiest member
> of Congress -- would come back from Albany, mopping his sweaty
> brow, and tell us, whew! We fought of the repeal of rent
> stabilization!

You may have noticed that rent stabilization has since been partially repealed, and units get deregulated en masse every week. So short of the victory of social housing, having preserved comprehensive rent stabilization is a victory of sorts, no?

And Nadler is fat, but compared to the rest of the House, he's Lenin.

Doug