[lbo-talk] "Protest Focuses on Troop Increase for Iraq"

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Jan 27 19:45:07 PST 2007

On Saturday 27 January 2007 22:06, Doug Henwood wrote:

> You may have noticed that rent stabilization has since been partially
> repealed, and units get deregulated en masse every week. So short of
> the victory of social housing, having preserved comprehensive rent
> stabilization is a victory of sorts, no?

These two sentences seem oddly-assorted. "Comprehensive rent stabilization" has most certainly not been preserved. I live in a non-stabilized apartment these days, and it makes quite a difference. The only fun I have is posting on lbo-talk -- it's all I can afford.

I should have provided more detail in my description of Nadler's scam. Every year the Legislature would enact a few more gotchas and exceptions to rent stabilization -- and every year Nadler would expect us to fall down and worship him because they hadn't repealed it entirely and thrown us all onto the street.

Of course, over the years the gotchas and exceptions that Nadler had to accept -- being a realistic guy and all -- added up to reducing stabilization to vestigial status. Meanwhile, Nadler, who is apparently a much more successful scammer than you might think from meeting him, has moved on to the US Congress, where he can disappoint us on a much larger scale.

> And Nadler is fat, but compared to the rest of the House, he's Lenin.

He's the fattest guy I ever met. Literally. I remember those house meetings -- he took up the whole sofa. This is not an exaggeration. He was Jabba the Hutt. And his whole family were the same -- spouse and kid.

Lenin? If Nadler is our Lenin, then we are in very serious trouble.