[lbo-talk] Re: Evolutionary Theory [was...]

Simon Archer simon.archer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 10:02:30 PST 2007

If it ever did, I don't know that evolution 'happens to us' as a species. In the past we may have evolved in the Darwinian sense, and the mechanics of that was sorted out in the mid-20th century, but whatever the chance elements involved in genetic mutation that create the new traits in the phenotype, which may help, hinder or neither in any given environment [which is my super-basic understanding of Darwin updated by genetics] can we say that this is any longer valid given the broad degree of control exerted over the "natural world" or the "environment"? I don't know if it's a sensible proposition any longer to say we "evolve" in any sense that is not beyond our control. I guess the exemplary case is toying with genes of fertilized eggs, but even Darwin saw this by introducing his whole work with a description of breeding animals. Pigeons and dogs, I think he used. -- simon.archer at gmail.com 647.406.2724 -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20070129/daf80e73/attachment.htm>