[lbo-talk] Question for Woj or anybody else on Poland

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 10:23:17 PST 2007

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> Not long ago I had a telephone conversation with
> someone in Poland and asked
> him what all these weird issues (cf. the witch
> hunting of ex-Communist
> "collaborators") were all about. He replied that
> democracy is a good thing,
> but only for societies that are mature and civil,
> but otherwise it is a mere
> platform for demagogues to instigate gullible and
> ignorant public. I agreed
> with that assessment.
>
> Wojtek

This is interesting. According to a frequent participant in the Russia list I moderate with Peter (Lavelle) who used to be pretty high up in the Lithuanian government (I won't say how high up), the most politically active members of the Baltic diaspora post-WWII were in fact the SS/Nazi emigrees, that it was to a large extent they who ideologically sponsored the "velvet revolutions" there in 1990, and so it is not surprising that the SS would be getting rehabilitated.

He also thinks that in a few years there will be fascist torch marches all through the eastern half of the EU.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a PS3 game guru. Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo! Games. http://videogames.yahoo.com/platform?platform=120121