[lbo-talk] Existential Risks

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 16:47:48 PST 2007

Chuck G:

The writer assumes we might be able to control most developments and modify them sufficiently to avoid some of the extinction scenarios (global warming is just one). But what he failed to do was analyze more exactly why at the moment there are absolutely no efforts, except talk to do so.

The reason is that most well developed technological societies are also undergoing completely uncontrolled development due to unregulated and unplanned economic infrastructures. And further that the international super-structures that might provide some coordination, control, and regulation needed to avoid these doomsday scenarios are thoroughly committed to neoliberal and de-centralized policies.

Precisely.

Judging by this essay, Dr. Bostrom expresses a sort of faith (though a quickly sketched and grimly humorous one) that we might be able to turn the great starship of civilization about but is unable to grasp the real obstacles getting in the way.

Oddly enough, our all-too-real dilemma reminds me of a science fiction story I read years ago.

Some astoundingly advanced extraterrestrials arrive and of course, cause a major stir. The religiously minded either welcome them as messengers, damn them as the living embodiment of heresy or switch the object of their worship from the unseen to the very visible visitors with their godlike toys. The science and technically minded are excessively impressed.

At one point in the tale, a geek is going on and on at annoying length to one of the aliens about their technology which, he assumes, is the secret of their obviously superior situation. Fed up with this sort of chatter, one of the ETs curtly informs the human that the secret isn't nicer tech but the fact that they (the aliens) are 'organized for long term survival'. Everything -- from more fragrant shampoos to warp drive, to mind bending works of celestial engineering -- followed from that singular achievement. No one understands what he means which is the story's point.

Back in the desert of the real, humanity is partially organized for survival but mostly -- and here, as you say, is the chief barrier to solving planetary-scale problems -- we're organized to help a relatively few wankers enjoy the ultra super good life. This wankery is popularly known as capitalism and its boastful, smelly little brat, neoliberalism.

If our species has to go, it would be a cosmic shame for the collective tombstone to read: "Might've been something but couldn't get their shit together fast enough."

.d.

Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln how'd you enjoy the play?

Harry Shearer ...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/