[lbo-talk] Russians, was Bakumin on Marx

cgrimes at rawbw.COM cgrimes at rawbw.COM
Sun Jul 1 12:07:23 PDT 2007

If you may note, Russian history is mainly a swinging back and forth between the two poles of authoritarian "vlast" and anarchic "volya," or rather usually a thin veneer of authoritarianism over a deep boiling sea of "vlast." Russian daily existence is chaotic and has always been chaotic. The vlast exists as a reaction to it and to keep it under control. The trick is to achieve some kind of balance between the two (something Putin has done remarkably well BTW). You can probably see something of this in the Soviet harnessing of peasant messianism to its modernization product.

(By the way, failing to notice this is part of what dooms something like 90% of Western commentary on Russia to irrelevancy. E.g. Putin is supposed to establish something called "rule of law." How exactly is he supposed to do this? Change the entire society? "Rule of law" has never existed in Russia. Russians do not obey laws; Russians do not enforce laws, unless the Vlast really starts yelling at them... Chris Doss

This is pretty fascinating stuff. Particularly the idea that `free will' is a contradiction in Russian. I think I sort of get it. What it reminds me of our own mythological wild west or at the least some of the internal conflicts portrayed in some western movie characters. Well, not quite that but something like it.

Anyway as a daily fact of life about only place I see much like what you describe is in some of the wilder, poorer, and mostly black and hispanic neighborhoods in SF and O-town---where there is a deep sort of dismissle of all authority, especially white political-police authority. This authority is seen as completely irrelevant bullshit---created mainly to hassel people.

Maybe the similarities are a matter of a similarily of living in chaos, because that is what poverty or at least desparate economic circumstances look like from the outside. Chaos. Because money is always low and irregular everything in life is thrown into uncertainty---work, bills, rent, food, transportation. It is almost impossible to plan anything because you never know what's going to happen between now and then. Toss a wheelchair and/or a couple of kids in the mix and you have a real mess on your hands.

CG

(I am going to continue this post on another thread about healthcare...)