[lbo-talk] Lieberman still a hawk

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 2 07:32:33 PDT 2007

<http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/Story?id=3105288&page=2>

Republicans may be abandoning President Bush on the war, but Sen. Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn., is sticking with the president's strategy -- and sounding more combative than Bush himself these days. "You might say that, in Iraq, we've got the enemy on the run, but for some reason, in Washington, a lot of politicians are on the run to order a retreat by our troops even as they are beginning to succeed," Lieberman told ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week" yesterday. He also said -- surprise -- that he's not necessarily supporting a Democrat in 2008. "I would say that Democratic candidates, in the larger questions of American security, have been disappointing."