[lbo-talk] Liberalism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 5 20:23:19 PDT 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 9:14 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Dennis Claxton wrote:
>>
>> I'd also wager this 14-year-old knows a lot of stuff about the
>> world that you haven't a clue about.
>
> This was my premise. The "ignorance" and "stupidity" of so many
> americans, adult and teenage, is ideology-based -- which is why
> they can
> learn so fast when conditions break through that ideology. And is also
> why only events, for the most part, not preaching or agitation, can
> bring about that breakthrough.

I'll agree that "ignorance" and "stupidity" are constructed, and not the result of any biological deficiency among the American masses. But the patterns of ignorance are interesting, no? No idea what the hammer & sickle mean, no idea who the Chief Justice is, but quick to name the winner of American Idol. That's a pretty uphill climb for the likes of you & me, no?

Doug