[lbo-talk] Brit lit goes to hell

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Jul 7 22:16:24 PDT 2007

On Sat, July 7, 2007 11:52 am, Robert Wrubel wrote:

> I'm racking my brains to think if any current American novelists qualify
> as radical in this article's sense.

William Gibson and Toni Morrison come to mind. But Eagleton's critique of decadence is a bit misplaced. British imperialism has gone to the dogs -- once it ruled the planet, now it barely controls a couple bases near Basra. Good riddance. Still and all, British aesthetics is quite lively, thanks to the civilizing influence of the EU and waves of immigration from the former colonies.

-- DRR